Free college tuition for military and families

According to Military HomeFront military service members who enroll after July 1, 2009 for a period of more than 30 days will be eligible for free college tuition at public colleges and universities in the state where they are stationed or reside. This includes tuition for their spouses and dependents.

This change is included in section 135 of the Higher Education Opportunity Act (H. R. 4137) (HEOA) which was signed into law on August 14, 2008 and amends and extends the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA). This requirement applies to all public institutions that receive funds under a program authorized by the HEA.

The tuition will be paid by the government as long as the enrollee remains enrolled continuously. The Department of Education is confident that all eligible schools of higher learning are aware of the program, but encourages you to contact financial aid, the registrar’s office, or the Veterans Affairs office at the institution. And if they still can’t help contact the Department of Education’s Ombudsman’s office (toll-free at 877 557-2575) or via the internet at the Office of the Ombudsman

This information comes via a Military HomeFront press release. Learn more and read the full text here.

Also learn more about how the government is helping military families at the USA4 Military Families site